I'm attaching a video of the song first for your listening pleasure while you read this post. Just try to keep it in your seat while it's playing. I dare you.
http://www.ilike.com/artist/DJ+Kool/track/Let+Me+Clear+My+Throat
I love to dance. Which means that a lot of my favorite songs are good ones to dance to. This also means that I appreciate rap and hip hop because who's got the phattest beats, yo? Let Me Clear My Throat is an excellent example of a song with a great beat that just makes you want to shake it. It didn't get much radio play, but back in the day you could hear it in the clubs...and the saxophoney sounding background would make you scream "This is my jam!" and drag your girls out to the floor to get your swerve on. The original song was by DJ Kool and this video has some collaboration with Doug E. Fresh and Biz Markie. Can it get any more classic than that?
This song got a lot of attention on Yo! MTV Raps with the Ed Lover Dance. Kids, this is back when MTV was all about the music and actually showing videos. (Did you know that MTV stands for MUSIC television? Yeah, I didn't think so.) Anyway, when they weren't actually showing videos, MTV had shows about music and artists so that everyone was in the know about all of the latest musical happenings.
Yo! MTV Raps was a show that helped us white kids in the burbs find out what was funky AND fresh. They didn't play this stuff on KWK, you guys. MAJIC 108, maybe, but there wasn't a station that really played rap. Yes, this is what life was like before the internets. After you hit fast forward and rewind about a hundred times to get the tape in the right spot, you had to sit in front of the tv to wait for your fave video with your finger poised over the record button of your VCR. Life is so different here in 2009.
Ed Lover hosted the show and named an easy, stupid-looking dance after himself. Let's face it, if I had my own show on MTV I'd do the same damn thing. So have a look at the Ed Lover Dance and let me know if you've got the moves to pull this one off. I bet you do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99lwNnrUNs8
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment