Thursday, May 14, 2009

Let's Get Rocked!


Do you wanna get rocked?! Yes, this is an acknowledgment of my appreciation for hoosier tunes. And let's not forget, in the pre-grunge days of the 80's Def Leppard was kind of a big deal. You have a drummer lose his arm and see how well YOUR band does after that. It didn't keep Def Leppard down! Plus, Def Leppard was my first experience with a laser show and it blew my teen aged mind!

The reason I chose this song is because I heard it today and remembered a particular story that went along with it. I'll set the scene of the song: slacker kid, old man hassling him to do some household chores and the kid ain't feeling it. "Sorry Dad, gotta disappear. Let's get the rock outta here." This line brings me to my story.

We're road-tripping to Chicago for the Cards/Cubs series, it's summertime, early in the new millennium. Now, if you've ever made that drive, you know that 55 through Illinois is possibly the most boring ride ever. Flat farmland, nowhere good to stop, and yet tons of traffic; we Cards fans are all about representing at Wrigley. So Tina, Larry and I are in our little part of the caravan. We brought out all kinds of old cd's to keep us entertained and Def Leppard made the cut. We did have 5 hours to kill... We were laughing at some of the lyrics in "Let's Get Rocked" and that's when Larry brought out the dare. At some point in the weekend I had to approach a male stranger and say to him, "Let's get the rock out of here." I took that dare and then turned right around and told him that his dare was a nod to the Gap Band, who we also listened to on this drive. I dared him to say to a complete stranger, "Girl you knock me out." (But that's where his part of the story ends since he never did it.)

So, back to my dare. We were at Murphy's Bleachers, the bar directly across from Wrigley Field. We spent the majority of the day there, out in the sun, loving baseball and drinking beers. Some old biker dude ended up around our group and, stud magnet that I am, he talked to me. This is when I saw my chance and I took it. He was a bit drunk and didn't hear me when I broke out my classy pick-up line the first time. So I raise my voice and again I say, "Let's get the rock out of here." I even used a thumb motion and pointed toward the exit to really bring the message home. I didn't consider how I'd handle it if he agreed to take me up on my offer...not much forethought going on in this situation.

Lucky me, the old bugger STILL didn't hear me and kept on rambling about whatever uninteresting thing drunk bikers talk about. At this point, Tina affirmed that she heard me say it loud and clear. Dare met, game over. Larry tried to say later that it didn't count because the guy didn't hear it, but Tina and I agree that wasn't my fault - the dare wasn't for someone to comprehend my very complex words, but only for them to be said. And I looked him right in the face and said them, not once, but two times! Let it never be said that I welch on bets or shy away from a dare...

Now let's get the rock out of here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment