Let me preface this by saying that I would normally stay away from a heavy post and keep this light and fun. But you know what? Music is about life – ALL of life, and sometimes life is sad and messy. So, if you don’t want to read an honestly messy post today, come back tomorrow. I promise the good-time-positive memories will be back soon, but right now I have Megan on my mind and I’m not going to deny her the honor of a post. I do have happy memories of her and they are in this post too. My friend deserves it!So, My Chemical Romance reminds me of my friend Megan who died senselessly and tragically last year. I’m trying so hard to believe and accept that it was her time to go, but her life just seemed
so short and unfinished. She was the one to first introduce me to the band and I just fell in love with them. They are emo-punk at it’s finest. We both found the lead singer Gerard to be hot in a scary, sexy way. He gets these crazy eyes and he has teeth that are almost fang-like. And who doesn’t love a vampire mouth?! He wears his guyliner and has his tattoos and a gorgeous voice. He's mastered some emphatic screaming too. Megan often reminded me a lot of myself at her age - and that included a love for the bad boy! It's a rite of passage for all young ladies...I have not been able to listen to this band since we lost her and have totally avoided them on my ipod. Finally tonight, I literally faced the music. It was gut wrenching and yet strangely cathartic. She and I always connected over music and I know I’d hate it if she was missing out because of me – and with the shoe on the other foot, I know wherever she is she feels the same. So now I can enjoy MCR and our sexy, screaming Gerard again because Megan would want me to. Yes!
All right, let's talk about the song - Welcome to the Black Parade. It starts off with a simple piano background which is always a winner in my book. It builds into this tremendous production with a fast tempo that you just can't deny. It’s really an anthem and it hooked me from the very first time I heard it. And the lyrics couldn’t be more fitting:
Sometimes I get the feeling she’s watching over me…
We’ll carry on, we’ll carry on
and though you’re dead and gone, believe me,
your memory will carry on.
It's an excellent song. I always loved it, especially to rock out in my car and now it has even more meaning because of the lyrics. (I am a lyrics junkie as you'll come to find out. I guess it's the writer in me who believes in the power of words.) So, please give it a listen or better yet, watch the video. http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/--43629725 It's dark, but feel and appreciate the passion and the uplifting repetion of the chorus - We'll Carry On! Because isn't that an essential part of life and actually living it?
Thank you Megan for your friendship and your lessons. I'm so happy I knew you.

No comments:
Post a Comment